Monday, November 18, 2013

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

What guy, in any universe, would read a "letter" that is 300+ pages long explaining "Why We Broke Up"? To start with, he's a jock and he's not really fond of reading. That wasn't a stereotype. It was stated in the story. She's the ex-girlfriend, she should know he doesn't like to read. So ... yeah. 

I had a lot to say about this book while I was reading it. I forgot most of them so I'll just say stuff at random (like I don't normally do that). 

On Min's classic films obsession: I think it's amazing how anyone can remember all those films and compare a lot of situations and even facial expressions to a specific scene. I had to Google a lot of those movies, mind you. Then again I'm not a movie buff to begin with.
The prose was ok ... ish. It got boring at some parts so I guess that's why, in some reviews I read, they said Min was whiny. I dunno. I'm pretty sure every brokenhearted girl got whiny at some point. So I forgive her. Lol. I think it's just too long an explanation. The prose was sort of a mix. Some parts were raw and some ... literary. It was a bit funny when the prose goes Yoda.
Onion rings, they were 
Put it in water, I could have done
I liked the end part where she described all her insecurities because that's what happens when you're brokenhearted. I didn't like that her insecurities amounted to about 2-3 pages.
This wasn't the insecurity part. Posting that would amount to copyright infringement or something.
Honestly, I bought the book because it had illustrations. I'm fickle like that. Also because the price dropped. Lol. It was Php699 when I first saw it a year ago. Regular price now is Php489. I'm actually happy I waited. Because I didn't like the book. I liked parts of it. Like the illustration and some quotes and the ending but not the book as a whole. Because again, why would a guy read this? And also because after everything that she said, after explaining the differences they had and how hard it was living in different circles and all those other long explanations of why they couldn't be together ... they really only broke up because ***SPOILER ALERT*** he cheated on her.

If anything this is a good YA book because it also discusses sex among teenagers and it clearly states that if you have sex when you're a minor your bf will end up cheating on you. I kid. I kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment