Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

 
That cover

Hmm ... hmmmmmmmm. Heh. I was expecting to give this at least 4 stars since it was highly recommended. But maybe that was the problem. How about I just make a list in line with Mr Porter's obsessive list-making. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure mine won't be as long.

Things I liked about the book:

  • The prose was easy and simple.
  • Therefore it's a fast read.
  • But there's also depth without being pretentious.
  • It has a nice ending. Pretty realistic.
  • Nice cover too.
  • She thought about amnesia instead of <insert-any-other-health-related-issue-here>.
Things that I didn't-necessarily-not-like-but-I-found-meh about the book:
  • Other than the amnesia I don't find anything else worth noting.
  • The conflicts between and within the characters are pretty much run of the mill.
  • As in, you could've inserted any other health problem and the teenage character can still use it as an excuse for pretty much everything.
  •  Which was what the main character did. 
  •  I think I would've been happier if she didn't end up with anyone.
  •  Puberty. So overrated.
  •  Um ... yeah.

Over all (and to be fair), I would say it was extremely well-written and that alone makes it a worthy read. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment