Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman


I thought the story was good in a way that it was realistic. It challenges a person to say "I wouldn't do such a thing". If you're on the brink of insanity because of grief, who can tell what you can (or cannot) do whether or not you were raised in a "proper" environment. I think it teaches how it's easy to judge based on our own situation. It was interesting to read about how it was in a small town in Australia after WWII. I liked how it showed culture and tradition ... whether the culture or tradition is good or bad isn't an issue.

Moral issues aside, I think this is a good book because of the way it was written. I read a few reviews that says it was poor writing but I have to disagree. If it wasn't for the story-telling I probably wouldn't be able to finish this. I had to keep reminding myself this is not an adventure book but the delivery made me feel that way. I guess it depends on a person's preference but even if the writing wasn't my cup of tea I wouldn't go as far as telling people not to read it. Having said that, this isn't the type of story I normally read because there's so much feelings in it. Lol. I still enjoyed it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment