Monday, July 7, 2014

The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey


This book makes me want to stock up on dish washing and anti-fungal soap … okay maybe that's not how you kill this kind of fungus but it's a start. Apparently, the apocalypse will be brought upon us by a new breed of fungi that will somehow enter the human system and turn us all into zombies and you know what they say about prevention versus cure. Seriously this concept is scary. It doesn't help knowing that fungi have a completely different kingdom of their own. It makes sense, right? These aren't plants or animals … and they will take over the world. Wait-what? What's even scarier is these zombies (the book calls them "hungries") can run ... fast. Like World War Z (the movie which I never watched, BTW) run. And you can't outrun them. They're faster than foxes! I didn't like the term "hungries" at the beginning and I was gonna take a star off for that but it kinda grew on me. Lol.

Now, I'm not a big fan of zombie ... stuff (except for WWZ because that's a whole different level of awesome). I watched the first season of The Walking Dead and that's about it but THIS! Normally I zone out when they talk biology and sciences but I really tried to understand the explanation for the fungus ... thingie. That's how much I loved this book. 

And the feelings! There's so much of those in here. I liked all the characters. Even the, supposedly, antagonists are not completely hate-able (I'm too lazy to think of a better word) because they make sense. I actually thought the ending would be different. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Like Melanie, I thought, would die at the end since the hungries grow whole trees out of their heads. And in a perfect world (which is my version of the ending) Parks would live and help Helen do ... I dunno. whatever. Although yeah, that's asking for too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment