Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Dark Bayou (The Dark Trilogy) by Nancy K. Duplechain

"A supernatural trilogy set in Cajun Country? I'll take the lot, thank you very much. And no, no need to wrap. I'll read it right... oh, sorry, I already started." I would've said that if I bought this in print but I bought it from the Kindle store so I read it right away anyway. Lol. I might be a bit biased here since I love stories set in Southern America specifically Mississippi and (especially) Louisiana ... history goes way back so let's not dwell on it. Let's just agree I might be a bit biased. Lol.

I was looking for something to get my reading streak back. This one is short and it's not the most complicated story so I thought it would be perfect. In general, the author goes straight to the point. The genre said paranormal/ghosts/fantasy so she didn't beat around the bush. I liked this a lot because of the setting. I already made that clear. It talked of how people in that part of the country live. The language, their history, the food etc. I am biased, yes, but I had to take down a star because I found parts of this (specifically the beginning) a bit awkward. I think it's mostly the prose. It shifts. I'm not an expert, I just read a lot, but I think when describing ghosts and paranormal activity, she hit the spot. The fillers, though ... 

"Rhythmic beats of popular songs thumped through my body, pounding in my chest. "

... I don't know about that. It sounded a bit out of place.

Other than that, I liked that there's more to it than ghosts. If it was just that I probably won't be interested in reading the next 2 books.

No comments:

Post a Comment