Monday, July 21, 2014

Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson


I think for a seriously fucked up case, this book is a modern-day fairy tale. Not in a love story kind of way but because the "hero", actually, was able to save the day. I was expecting the usual ending for cases like these. A hopeless one. An it-is-how-it-is ending or an I-can't-do-anything-to-change-things ending. 

Had this book ended the way I thought it would, I would've given it 4-stars. The author's ending pretty much changed my mind. Err, mostly because it made me cry. Although it's disturbing and very sad, the ending made me feel ... hopeful that there are still people out there who are trying to make a difference in the small ways they do. And it's not just because it's their job or so they can say on Facebook or Twitter to "Look at me! I'm helping people!" I guess what I'm trying to say is here's a seriously messed up guy who turns to alcohol and drugs when he's really down, whose friends are a bunch of happy-go-lucky guys, who had to hit rock-bottom to be able to forgive his brother and who can't even help his own family but he went out of his way to help Cecil, Katie and the Pearls. Also the family in the end. There's your modern-day super hero, right? And, yes, I think I might be a little bit in love with Pete Snow. Heh.

For the most part, it seemed like this book mocks religion and their avid followers but then it also shows how religion can bring solace to those who needs it. Actually, I think the book has a passive-aggressive relationship with religion and the government. It builds up a person, a law enforcer, for example, as someone who has a bad character. Someone who's going through all the lengths to do his job even if he ends up harassing other people and then suddenly he's all, "OMG this happened? I didn't know! Poor Pearl."

If you're anal about it, there are a few more things that don't add up. Like how much does a social worker in a small district earn? How can he afford to fly or drive around the country looking for his own daughter with his salary especially since he, apparently, doesn't want to receive anything from his rich, deceased, rancher dad? Also, please note that I'm not from the US so I don't know how these things work exactly but this guy broke a bunch of rules (big-ish ones) to be able to help Cecil and the Pearls. Is it possible for social workers to do that? Does no one check on their work and how they do it? Or is it just because he has connections with the judge? Then again, would you really focus on things like those when there are more pressing issues that should be addressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment