Sunday, October 27, 2013

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan


I understand it's a series before I started reading and I understand there would be answers that won't be addressed on the first book but ... I don't understand cliff hangers. I really don't. It works for them TV series but somehow it doesn't work on books. At least not for me. And this already dragged on some parts. Like the way they kept talking about the unknown origin of the connection between the main characters. You can't keep on repeating the issue from the beginning to about half of the book without spilling the answers and expect not to bore people. Speaking of TV series, this one screams Vampire Diaries lol. I'm not saying this was copied, it's a different plot and story all together but I couldn't help remembering the founding families the originals when they talk about the Lynburns' being one of the oldest families in a small, scarcely populated town.

It wasn't all that bad. I even considered buying it in print too to add to my collection. I'm glad they didn't have the hardbound cover I liked when I went to the bookstore. The paperback cover is ugly, imho.

Anyhoo, I admit it got interesting when I got to about 10%-15% of the book (that's why I considered buying it again) but when 64% came and they finally blurted the big "secret" I was like ... um okay. That was so anticlimactic. Pft. But then I said I promised to finish reading any book I started reading this year so ...

What really made the whole thing bearable was the humor. I gather that witty dialogue exchange is a trademark of the author? It can be funny, but there's a but lol. Butt <insert-minion-snigger-here>. There are scenes where Kami's wit is not really appropriate anymore. So that was kinda off?

Overall, I'm sad to say this only earned 2 stars from me. I guess I expected too much from it so ... yeah. I don't think I'll be reading the second book yet, though I have it on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment