Monday, October 28, 2013

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell


Now there's a book boyfriend if I ever saw one ... or read about one. Tall, cute, intelligent, kind ... and socially awkward. I read a review (well browsed a review) that said they don't get how he's supposed to be a nerd but looked hot. Well, IT guys can be lookers too ... just not in the office where I work. Why can't there be a Lincoln IT guy in the office where I work?! I so want to file this under the category fantasy. Get it? Fantasy. No? Okay, I'm not as witty as Rainbow Rowell. Deal with it. 



The review blurb on the cover of this edition said it's a story that's easy to relate to. I had to agree. The fantasy~ish part stopped at the Lincoln character. Isn't that what some people look for when reading? Something to relate to? That's why Coelho's books are such hits. Something confirms what they believe in. But let's not dwell on that. I gave this book five stars because it's very rare for me to read a book and find it hard to move on to another. I don't want to move on to a new book. I want this wonderful, wonderful feeling to last. It doesn't happen much. Not even with my favorite authors. But, alas, I am 17 books from my target this year so I will move on. I liked how this was such a light read but have so much truth in it. 


Isn't this always the case when you or your bff is dating a douche bag?

And it was laid down with such smart assery I even love it. SO MUCH.


People go to bars hoping to meet THE one but, yes, we don't want them smelling like Jager and cigarettes. I actually LOLed at stripper song.
I liked Chris's character too, actually. Although he's no more real than Lincoln is. Is there ever a guy who doesn't get flustered or isn't awkward when a girl cries? I thought it's either they just ignore the girl or get angry and then ignore the girl. Or they console the girl but get tired of it eventually and just ignore the girl. Chris's ignoring the girlfriend and not marrying type, I guess, I can charge to his "artist complex"? I know people like that, thus, I think there's more possibility for him to exist. Plus, Chris and Beth's break up was ludicrous, as the characters put it but ... his argument is actually pretty valid.


Valid argument. Period.
I borrowed this book from a co-worker (THANK YOU!) but I have to buy my own copy for my small collection. Along with Ms. Rowell's other books. I mean, how can I not?!

I was thinking the best part about the book was that it was set in 1999. I was graduating from high school and starting college. I remember the movies and the songs they talked about and how it was when emails and the internet was new-ish. I thought it was perfect ... but then I had to be the dork that I am and make calculations and disappointed myself. Towards the end, the "reconciliation" between Beth and Lincoln part, Beth said her favorite song was Here's Where The Story Ends that she saw on MTV when she was on her 8th grade. That would make her 14? She's supposed to be 28-29 in the book which was set around 1999-2000. Well, that song was not recorded until 1989 and released (or became a hit) until 1990 so ... she had to be 19-20, right? Bit late for an 8th grader. GOOD THING I LIKED THE STORY TOO MUCH TO ACTUALLY CARE! I'd give this 6 stars but I only stop at 5, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment