Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Firegirl by Tony Abbott

Most of the young-adult books about awareness and social understanding are very dark. Actually even the fantasy type are, especially those dystopian-themed ones. I sometimes wonder how far a person can go before they get called on by parents or other ... erm ... conservative groups. I have a couple books that I know caused a stir that I'm yet to read before I can make some sort of conclusion. Anyhoo, this book isn't one of those dark books (haha!).



Firegirl, although tragic in nature and heavy in context, is surprisingly light. I thought the part where Tom was thinking about his super power fantasies was a bit too long but that was fine. It basically discussed how teenagers can be awkward and dumb when it comes to dealing with real life tragedies and situations but I though it would apply to adults as well. Not just about the Jessica and her condition but just medical conditions in general.


I bought this book without understanding the blurb. It turned out to be a nice, fast read. I got it from a second-hand bookshop for Php50 (a little over 1 USD) but even if I got it brand new it would still be worth it ... 5-stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment