Sunday, October 19, 2014

Excuse me while I drown my sorrows in a venti latte


I grew up reading my dad's books because 1) there are no bookstores in my hometown, 2) even if there was I probably won't have the money to buy books, and 3) there are libraries at school but why risk paying for overdue books when there's a ton at home? Erma Bombeck was one of the authors my dad read. She's an American humorist and columnist whose works were published from the 60s to the 90s. A former boss told me he didn't think I'd be into her because she wrote stuff about the rants of a housewife/mother in a 60s-80s American household ... none of which I can relate to. I don't know why but, in a gist, she's super funny and I love her.

Now, I very rarely see Erma Bombeck on the shelves of any bookstores so imagine how excited I was to see this hardbound copy under one of the piles at Booksale Makati Square for only 60pesos. Turns out my happiness would be short lived. This is not a review of the book. I haven't read it. I will try, though. 

I said try because it has at least 10 leaves missing. As in ripped off, literally. Case in point:
This makes me want to cry. My first reaction was a few seconds of nothingness. I was speechless. After that came the question: Why would anyone do thisssssss??? Whyyyyyy? Then I got depressed. 

The only reason I can think of is the person who previously owned this had kids in the house because if not ... there's no excuse for this. 

Ugh. Excuse me while I go drown my sorrows in a venti latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment