Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Fighting Reuben Wolfe (Underdog #2) by Markus Zusak

Somehow I posted the last installment of this trilogy without posting this. So ... here:




It's hard to come up with very different materials for different books. It's like music. You would want to come up with something new. Something that won't be under the shadow of the last hit. Now, The Wolfe Brothers series is written (or released) before his last two hits I Am The Messenger and The Book Thief but I read the newer ones first before I found out about these and it's amazing how, although they are of the same context, they're very different in ... package.

Like I kept saying, I became a huge Markus Zusak fan because I loved The Messenger. But after reading the first two Wolfe Brothers' books, especially Fighting Ruben Wolfe, I realize now that it's not just the Messenger. It's him. That's a confusing statement since he wrote the book, yes. But I thought maybe that was a one story thing. Err ... that's even more confusing. I didn't mean that he's a one-hit wonder, he's a great writer and everyone who read him knows that. But what I'm raving about is the context of his works. The message he wanted to pass on and, most especially, how he does that. While the Messenger was very light (and even cute), this book is very heavy. The similarity lies in the manner of story telling. It's very grounded. The difference is that whereas some books tell stories about what's right and wrong or how things are black and white (with different gray areas depending on the author's beliefs), Markus Zusak writes something so down-to-earth and real that you don't just know it, you actually feel it. This story could be happening to anyone, the decisions made here are real life decisions for real life problems. Issues a reader won't question if it exists. It's one of those books where a reader might argue if what the character did was right but in reality might end up doing the same thing. It is not black or white or gray. It just is.

On a funny note, I thought it was going to be romance-y. Lol. Maybe that was what pulled me in. I wanted to see how romance would be written from a guy's point of view. Sorry. It really comes off as that especially since the last installment is called Getting The Girl. I also thought that each book would be about a brother each since there are three brothers and three books. I was wrong on both counts. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this series.(less)

No comments:

Post a Comment