Sunday, September 8, 2013

(Should be) Good Reads


Latest Loot
Today was book hunting day. A pretty successful one, too. I got eleven books for Php597 (more or less US$13). Here's a list of books I will be posting reviews of in the future ... although I can't promise exactly when.


Most interesting among the loot is Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (English translation by Ina Rilke). This is a historical fiction set in China. I had to choose between this and a historical fiction set in Chicago, USA. This one won because 1) it's a book about bibliophiles and 2) it has doodles on it. Actually, no, not doodles. Notes about the book and specific lines. I guess the previous owner made a book report. That or s/he really does that. Whatever the reason, I thought it gives the book more value ... in a way. That and it's cute. I got this for Php115.




Doodle


Doodle

Nood- erm ... doodle



A Thin Dark Line  by Tami Hoag. I've been looking for a copy for forever. Or at least until I realized the person who borrowed will never return it. I kinda squealed inside the store when I saw it under a pile of random paperbacks. It was embarrassing but it was worth it lol. This cost me Php60.




Already read this twice before(once borrowed and the other one on ebook) without realizing (until recently) I did. Such a dork. So yeah, it's one of my favorites so I wanted it on print. Here's a review of The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Another book for Php60.


The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon Another one I already read and absolutely loved! But it's another one I also borrowed so I need to have it on print. Click on the book title to read my review, why doncha?! Got this for Php75 so double YAY!












Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry ... because I think he's funny and it's only Php25.















Blame by Michelle Huneven ... because it says on the blurb that it's "morally complex" ... and it's Php25.














Tiger, Tiger by Margaux Fragoso. I thought this would be interesting although, admittedly, I'm not big on memoirs. But we'll see. This was Php115.












Rachel's Secret by Susan Sallis ... it cost me Php10. Need I say more?














The Seventh Commandment by Lawrence Sanders. One of the authors I read in high school and one of those books I'd take from my dad's bookshelves. Yes I was a minor and this was kind of adult-ish but I thought there was pretty cool detective stuff going on in there. :p Got this for Php37.










Black Lands by Belinda Bauer ... serial murders. Gotta love 'em. Lol. Php25.














Firegirl by Tony Abbott  ... because I'm a kid-at-heart. (Haha!) And because this was a Golden Kite awardee. This was Php50.

No comments:

Post a Comment