Monday, August 19, 2013

Baby, You're As Sweet As 3.14159265 by Hog Wild



I always thought books of the comedy genre are the easiest to write but are hardest to sell. People's sense of humor vary. Some don't have any, heh. Baby, You're As Sweet As 3.14 is a funny book. It's witty and sarcastic, but it's not for everyone because it's also raw and crass. I did find like 75% of the book funny. Probably because I don't get offended easy or I'm not very sensitive or I have a lot of guy friends or because I used to work for an offensive website managing their traffic so I was exposed to this kind of content. Pick any from those reasons.

The concept was easy and has potential. 101 funny love advice answers. Easy enough but you need to know where and how to get hold of your specific audience. Now, while it's an easy one, it also becomes boring because it's too long. For example, the "Im-laughing-too-hard-I'm-spilling-pepsi-from-my-nose" parts (not the exact text but work with me here) is funny during the first 20x it was used but after the 800th time? (I was exaggerating but you know that, right?) I think for the genre (and the format) the author should've stopped at … 250 pages? 374 pages is way too long for this kind of book. This might also be better as an audiobook. Since this is mostly comedy bar-humor, listening to the tone of the voice and the proper diction would help deliver the humor. It's funnier that way. It's different when you're reading comedy. Not everyone is going to get The RedNeck Guy's "Yee-I'm-A-Redneck-and-you-should-be-reading-this-in-my-accent" parts. I get it, though, stand-up comedians like to talk so I guess it's hard to stop and decide which parts they shouldn't include in the book ... like now with this review ... I should probably shut up and stop but I'm still typing. Anyhoo … yeah, I'd give this book maybe 3 1/2 stars. 

Lastly, the blurb on Amazon said: * WARNING: Content may not be suitable for people offended by naughty words, honest thoughts about love, and sexual thoughts of sextastic sex with sexy people. * Now, you, dear reader, should take that Warning seriously. If you read that and also thought this is not your type of genre and still went on to read the book because you were asked to write a review, then it's entirely your fault that you thought you wasted your time. Now that is not to say I'm defending the book … I'm just saying. Lol. I mean, using the words "sexual" , "sextastic", "sex" and "sexy" in one sentence? That should be a dead giveaway that there will be a lot of sexual slurs, right? I guess I already braced myself when I read the blurb and that the author is a stand-up comedian. Stand-up comedian = comedy bar humor. There's another dead giveaway. I don't go to comedy bars but I've seen a few videos on youtube and I have enjoyed some of them. That's as near as I'd get to a comedy bar.

Thanks, Hog Wild for giving me a copy and letting me review the book. :) Best of luck on your next one!

==

If you want to read this book here's the Amazon link. And he has a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment