Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman


Five stars because ... really, who doesn't like making up stories in their head about a co-worker they despise or have a crush on or just someone you see around everyday but you don't know the name of. I work in a place where people have frikkin code names for everyone, I shit you not. This book is just like taking it up a notch.

Anyway, this a "cover-love" purchase that didn't disappoint, well it was a present so ... lol. Actually, the fact that I wasn't sure what to expect from this book might have helped. Yes, I read the blurb but, again, I wasn't paying attention to genres so I was a little surprised (in a good way) to find short, slightly related stories inside. I've always said that I'm a sucker for short stories but this series of short stories is one of the most quirky and entertaining that I've read in a few months.

At first I thought it might be interesting to read because I had a brief stint with a newspaper ... long ago ...when I was younger. I was a bit intimidated, though, because it's categorized as literary fiction and I don't like going anywhere near critically acclaimed pieces because I end up not liking them and then I end up feeling so ... uncultured. Just kidding. I think what really pulled me was that these are real life situations of working people. Nothing romaticized or anything. Just stories that can happen to anyone written with dry humor.

Normally I'd pick a favorite story or a favorite character. I can't do it with this one. I see a mixed reviews so I guess this isn't for everyone but I would recommend it. And I don't really do that lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment