Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Room by Emma Donoghue



If you can get past the fact that this kid talks in metaphors but can't use definite articles properly, then this is a fairly fast read. I couldn't get over it. And I quote:


There's a few more around the whole book. I understand he wasn't raised in a proper environment but he was raised with books (albeit a limited number) and his mother corrects him when he uses the wrong words? Also maybe because they treat "door" and "wardrobe" and "toilet", etc as a person? Not a person person but a ... being. Like Door is Matt or Toilet is Andy or something so you don't have to use a ... specifier or something. Err, yea I couldn't get over it. Other than that ...

I liked the story, it's not overly complicated (the prose and storytelling, I mean, because, yes, the plot is sad and twisted) and there's a little bit of suspense in it and I said a little bit because there's really just that one part that wasn't too predictable (t's human nature so it's pretty much predictable). I guess it's the story-telling in the eyes of a 5-year old that's the hardest to do but it she pulled it.

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment