Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (and my brand spanking new self inking stamp!!!)

The whole time I was reading this book there's a small voice at the back of my head whispering that, in summary, this book is saying that a golem, who makes perfect servants, is the epitome of a good wife and that its opposite is a polygamous, devil-may-care, MALE jinn. Lol. How stereotypical is that? I didn't know a lot about the true nature of golems or jinns until this book. But then again it's fiction so the author has the power to alter stuff. Here's what I knew before the book. Golems were strong and are made of clay and you put a paper in them to animate them (I think) so I thought at first that the golem was the guy and the jinni was the girl because jinns are beings of air and fire (mostly fire in this book) and more fickle ... now who's stereotyping? Kee-hee.

At first I thought, what are the odds that a Jinn would end up in a Syrian community and a Golem in a Jewish one? I mean, the flask could've been lost in time or sold to an antique shop or there could be a non-Jewish person who is knowledgeable about what golems are and how golems work who could've spotted Chava before the Rabbi did. But I guess it's significant to what the author wanted to define. Which I can't really say what lol. I'm not the author so I don't know if the book was written to tell people that we could live in harmony with people of different cultures and traditions and beliefs but it sounded that way and also kind of ... not ... that ... way? Haha! I thought she was very casual about talking about the traditions of the two communities. That was one of the things I loved about it too. 

I guess people who are old-fashioned at heart would like this not because it's a historical fiction but because it was specific on folklore and traditions.


===

In other news, I just got a self-inking stamp to use for all my books. Haha! Cheap thrills.

The Golem and The Jinni was the first book I stamped. I think I'm going to have fun this weekend. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment