Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Club Rules: Boys and Girls, Pubs and Clubs


How do you write a review of a  book that is not your genre? Lol. I was never a big fan of self-help. Especially if it's a personality/social/motivational ... thing. I'm a firm believer that, deep inside, people know what they should do in certain situations. We know what's right and wrong. We're just too stubborn to follow it. At least that's how I am.

Reading The Club Rules makes me prove my point. Most of the rules and tips in here are what you'd call a no-brainer. You don't need anyone to tell you these because anyone with an average IQ should already know that, when meeting people, you should Rule #1: Be Yourself. The thing is, when you go over the stories (examples?) the authors enumerated, you would actually agree that someone HAS to lay down the rules because, surprisingly, there is actually a Greg or a Susan or an Anna or a Michael in your circle of friends ... or one of those people could be you. Unknowingly, you're doing the things you know you shouldn't be doing. So I guess this book would be a good ... reminder? Not to mention each story is sort of a juicy confession that some people (the right audience) might find amusing/entertaining. 

Technically ... "Don't be (too much) of a tease" is not a sentence. If you remove the parentheses or if you put "of" inside the parentheses then it is a sentence ... because if we remove parentheses with the phrase in it, it would read: "Don't be of a tease" which doesn't make any sense ... Sorry I just got off work editing documents.

Again, this is not my kind of book but ... yeah, some of the stories made me snigger. Three stars? 

1 comment:

  1. Me too. I agree. Self-help books are more or less reminders. Just plain reminders. About things we already know deep inside us. Good catch, the placement of parentheses. (Don't hate me for my fragments, though.) :)

    ReplyDelete