Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Orphan Master's Son


When writing a review for an award winning book, one must be careful not to get carried away by the hype. To make things easier I asked myself one simple question: Did I actually enjoy the story? And the answer is yes (and not because Tim Kang **gushes** narrated it). But even then, when expressing your own opinion in a very controversial issue, you have to be sure you don't cross any lines and be politically correct. This is a hard review to write so work with me here, okay?

The book has been on my to-read list since 2012 but there are so many books out I just read them depending on what was available (or fits my mood). Honestly, I didn't think I would enjoy reading the book. I didn't know anything about N.Korea. But that was also how the book appealed to me (and it's timely since they've been threatening to nuke the world again). But, I did enjoy reading the book because it was a well-written one. I found the characters' stories and how they were brought together by some weird, twisted fate interesting. I think the first thing to do to appreciate the book is to appreciate the main character. The whole story revolves around him, after all. If you can't make yourself like him or relate to him or feel for him (at the very least), then it will be hard to enjoy the story. I felt detached from the story (as with most historical fiction stories) and didn't relate to Jun Do but I felt for him. 

Reading about Jun Do's life I felt like my problems (combined with everyone else's problems that I know of) are so petty and trivial. Hey at least I can vote for whoever I want to take advantage of me and then tell everyone I was wrong to vote for him/her whereas they have to stay devoted to their one Dear Leader; either that or die ... and I'm not even exaggerating. Now, I find it hard to digest that there are people so brainwashed (or hopeless) that they would just take whatever is thrown their way. It's so ... dystopian. Granted, it has been that way for decades but one would think that's long enough. Diving into the issue some more, I came up with a few theories: 1) that these people are completely and absolutely brainwashed (because they were fed propagandist information from birth and don't know anything of the world outside so whatever they see and whatever they are told is the truth); 2) that the military and officials outnumber the rest of the citizens (so they can't do anything to stop the injustice happening); 3) that they are actually spineless and are indeed hopeless; and 4) that they are just plain crazy to agree that they are the greatest nation in the world.

Back to the book, I liked the first part of it. The second part dragged a bit but the treatment was consistent. I think the story lacked a bit of suspense. Things were so complicated from the very beginning that you don't expect anything worse to happen. Or that everything Jun Do planned would surely fail. I also found the character of Sun Moon confusing especially the part when she kissed Commander Ga. That Ga would describe it as the same way it was in the movie when she kissed a S.Korean guard to distract him implicates she was distracting him too (?) but from what? From thinking of the bad things that could happen? Or was it for her to get things to work her way? I know the second part was supposed to be a story of great love but that seemed like a very one-sided love story. And a very fickle one. Did the author intend to make it look that way? Or have I been reading too much romance? In parts of the book, Sun Moon was described as a good wife, but she -as well as the first, lady interest of Jun Do (Second Mate's wife)- also acted as if they make the rules (and they did). I do this, you do that. I want this, you give it to me. Does that mean the author is saying N.Korean women are that way? Or that most women are that way? Lol! It could be me reading in between the lines too much.

Overall, I'd give it 4 stars because, again, I liked how the character's lives were connected by some weird, twisted fate and I thought it was a well-written story. I actually liked this better than the last Pulitzer I read (2008) which I think I also gave a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment