Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thoughts on: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time



I've read a few books (fiction) about autism and this is one of those that I liked most. Yes, I would recommend this for everyone, parents especially (even those whose kids do not have autism). No, I won't go as far as saying it's an awesome book. For one, this is not a happy book, the main reason being ... it's too real. But that is also what makes it so good.


There should be a few different ways to rate this book instead of just an overall pick-a-number-of-stars-to-go-with-it. Here's an attempt (feeble, maybe) to explain my point. There may be a few spoilers although I'll try not to give away too much. 


1) Concept/Awareness/Cause/Subject: Five stars. I don't think I have to spell it out. This is one of those books that aim to raise awareness about autism in kids. What they are going through and why adults should rally alongside them and their ... let's call it "rights" for now because I can't seem to find a fitting word. 


2) Story telling: It's pretty generic. There's chronology, words are clear, pace is just right, I won't say it's dragging too as it's not a long book. Pretty straight forward so ... For that I'd give it a fair 3 stars.


3) Conflict. It's all over the place. The two main conflicts being: It's a story of a kid with autism whose parents are divorced and are both having some sort of affair. And as you can imagine, in a story like this, every other conflict has their own ... sub-conflicts. And since I'm a person who hates reality and its conflicts (heh) ... Four stars.


4) Twist and Conclusion/Ending: When I finished the book I thought ... "Oooookaaaaayyy ... That's it?" Then I thought, "Well, how do you expect it to end?" The too real story's ending is abrupt but the author actually made us a favor of giving us a realistic, but at least not tragic and traumatic, ending for the kid. Four stars.


Over all, it's far from Kite Runner or Orphan Master's son but they share something in common ... It kinda makes you wish you live in a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment