Monday, September 24, 2012

I am the Messenger


You know how some authors can be self-righteous when trying to come up with something that they want to use as a tool to restore a person's faith in mankind? This is not one of those books. This book has "awwwww" written all over it. I was smiling 95% of the time but also shedding tears of joy half of the time. Like i said: awwwww.


I finished this in less than 24 hours. Yes, it's mostly because I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment but there's no denying the book is very readable ... if you know what I mean. It's very light and simple. There are no elaborate plots, or complex dialogues, or poetical phrases to muse over. The book just spells it out for you and the author had fun doing so (All of his characters are a bunch of smart asses. Even down to the boy who patted down the Doorman and only had a brief role).

But having said that, I am the Messenger is also very thought-provoking. If this was a campaign (and it actually is, I tells ya!!!), then I'd say it's very effective. I wasn't expecting the book would turn out the way it did. Somehow I had different expectations when I read the cover summary. But I was immensely impressed when I realize what it's all about.

And the ending? ... at that time when it hits you and realize who it is behind Ed's mission like it asked on the cover? ... That's the best part you have to watch out for. My reaction? "Wow ... just ... wow"

Hands down ... one of the best books I've read this year. :) Kudos to Markus Zusak! You are officially one of my favorite writers ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment