Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

It seems, for a children's book, this one is full of goodbyes. Not to mention graphic, morbid deaths and then there's a little bit of divorce too. It's funny how the ending bothers me more than the beginning, though. I mean his whole family was murdered brutally in at the beginning of the story but I was more sad when he had to leave the one he grew up with. And yes, I took down one star because of that lol.

This is a coming of age story told in a paranormal setting and has lots of adventures, big and small. The character, Bod, is cute and endearing and I fell in love with him and I liked that there's no you're-not-my-real-parents scenario because it gets old. I fell in love with Silas too ... heh. I would've wanted a bit more peek into the honor guards' duties and how they came to be. I dunno, something more. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Also an explanation of why Scarlett was scared of Bod. I didn't think it was because he let the Sleer's take Jack Frost. I kept thinking she saw something else but the book didn't say so.

I'm not over analyzing but the book left me with a lot of questions. I can't decide whether it's good or bad yet. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment