Saturday, March 16, 2013

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

There are a few reasons why "nerds" and "geeks" are now considered cool (or hot); this book is one of them.
I love how this book is a story about other books that tell different stories. It talks of the book's smell, even! And don't get me started with that! Lol! It puts books, words and letters in a pedestal and states the obvious and still makes me say wow! It's the kind of book that makes me feel good about everything for no reason at all. I was on the edge of my seat when I was almost halfway through the book and smiling when I finished.

I had so much fun reading it and although the climax may actually be anti-climactic (and also a bit predictable towards the end?) it's still so worth it. Are you a bibliophile? Then this book is definitely for you. But this is also for techie people who spends most of their lives in front of a computer trying to figure out how to make our lives easier. There's a connection there somehow. This is way more fun than Da Vinci's Code haha!

I've been seeing this book on the shelves and on Goodreads a lot but didn't add it to my pile of "un-reads" until a couple days ago. I was browsing Audible for a birthday present for a workaholic. I wanted something that's light and fun and one that might be an easy read after a long day of, well, being a workaholic. I found Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore under the gift suggestion pages of Amazon's audiobook store. Naturally, I wanted to know if it's worth giving a very particular person so I had to read it and I'm glad I did.

Will I buy the Audible version as a birthday present? Yes. And then I'll cross my fingers and hope that this time, the workaholic actually has the time to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment