Friday, February 15, 2013

James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper


Excuse my fangirling but G. Norman Lippert totally changed my view on fanfic. As much as I love getting this book for free I hope he'd be legally allowed to publish this series and get profit from it (and yes I will buy them and re-read them like I did HP lol). 

It would be hard to come up with an original story that would captivate readers of all ages (and from all over the world) as much as the Harry Potter series did but if you think the author got off pretty easy with a world that was already created for him and that he didn't have to make up on his own, then I have to disagree. It's harder because he already have a fan base to target and try to please. That is if he's making any profit of this. As it turns out, he doesn't get any. Now, he may have written the story for his own benefit because he said he wanted to make a "what if" story after HP and what fan wouldn't? Or doesn't. I'm just glad I ran across this.

What of the story? First off, I HATED the fact that (spoiler) that character we've all learned to love so much had to be the one to die but it was essential for the story. If it was someone else then it wouldn't have made that much of an impact. Bits of it may have also been predictable but even the original was like that in some ways wasn't it? Also, yes I find the older Hermione, Ron and Harry characters cheesy but it's also amusing. 

I think the best thing that I loved about this book is that it actually gave me not one, but two climaxes. And even then, it still left me craving for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment