Friday, October 26, 2012

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

 
Apparently, back in the days, trying out your mother's clothes would earn you a one-way ticket to an asylum. I wonder what they'd think about girls trying out their mother's shoes cause I did that more than I can count.

I picked the book up and I couldn't put it down. It wasn't amazing. It was ... engaging. The plot was simple but it had a complicated (albeit thin) story filled with complicated characters. I found myself getting sucked into their lives it makes me wonder if that puts me in the category of a gossip-monger. Heh.

I thought it was good how Kitty's Alzheimer's-addled thoughts was written/presented. I also liked how the difference between dating now and then was compared ... subtly.

What I found confusing was the timeline. If the book's setting was around early 2000 and Esme was thrown at the asylum at age 16 which was 60ish years ago then that would've only been in the 30's or 40's. I'd be generous and indulge you and say it's in the 20's but that still doesn't fit. The setting of Esme's younger days seem to be during the 1800's ... Jane Austen days. I didn't like how it ended (just like that) but I thought it was a pretty smart move. It was too complicated that it was probably best for

The book touches a number of controversial issues. There's rape, sibling rivalry and adultery to name a few. I still can't find the word to describe the book, or rather, the lives and activities of the people in the book. The first that came to mind (controversial) doesn't give justice to them and the others (lewd?) ... too harsh. I liked that it was deliciously intriguing, though. So that would do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment